Own a holiday home in France and want to stay for longer than 90 days?

Own a holiday home in France and want to stay for longer than 90 days?

If you own a holiday home in France and are looking to stay in it for more than 90 days at a time, you may wish to read on….

The French government has announced a new online process for regular visitors in France to get a carte de séjour – here’s who is eligible for this and how to apply.

As part of the French government’s ongoing process of moving more official processes online, a visitor’s card / temporary residence permit can now be applied for via an online portal.

Who is it for?

The carte de séjour “visiteur” is a temporary residence permit for non-EU visitors who wish to spend more than three months in France without working.

Citizens of many non-EU countries, including Americans, Australians and the British are allowed to spend 90 days out of every 180 in the EU without applying for a visa or residency. However, if you plan to stay for longer, you will need to apply for a visa or residency card.

The carte de séjour “visiteur” lasts for one year and can be renewed. This new card will be particularly useful for second- home owners who may want to spend more than three months in France at a time.

It is important to note that this is not the same as the post-Brexit carte de séjour for Brits living in France.

The carte de séjour is the residency card that UK nationals who were living in France before December 30th 2020 apply for. This card, applied for at a different online portal, is reserved for people who were living in France by that date. It cannot be used by second-home owners who wish to keep their main residency in the UK.

The carte de séjour visiteur is different and requires extra documents (see below).

What are the conditions?

Visa – In order to apply for a carte de séjour visiteur for the first time, you need to already have a visa. This should be a “visa de long séjour valant titre de séjour (VL-TS) mention visiteur” (long-stay visa equivalent to a residence permit for visitors).

You cannot apply directly for the carte de séjour visiteur, first you apply for the visa and then, when your visa is within two months of its expiry date, you apply for the carte de séjour.

Finances – You must also prove that you have sufficient financial resources to cover the entirety of your stay. This equates to the French minimum wage (€1,231 net per month) over a twelve-month period.

You can prove this using your own resources, such as a pension, private income or real estate income, or those of a member of your family. Another option is to provide a bank statement showing you have enough money to last a year.

How can I apply?

Although the permit needs to be renewed every year, the process is completely online; you only need to go to the préfecture to collect your card. This means it can be a lot easier than renewing a visa, which requires you to apply from your home country each time with an in-person visit.

You can find the online portal here – https://administration-etrangers-en-france.interieur.gouv.fr/particuliers/#/

If you do not already have an account, you will need to create one using the details which appear on your current visa.

How much does it cost?

The whole process costs €225 which is paid via timbres fiscaux (revenue stamps): €200 in taxes and €25 in droit de timbre (stamp duty).

What documents do I need?

You will be asked to upload the following:

  • A valid long-stay visa or residency card (unless you have a “résident de longue durée – UE” card issued by another EU member state
  • Birth certificate
  • Passport (the pages with your personal information, start and expiry date, stamps and visas), or another document such as an ID card or consulate card
  • Proof of address less than 6 months old
  • 3 photos (can be uploaded using the e-photo code printed by official photo booths)
  • A medical certificate issued by the French Office for Immigration and Integration (Ohi), which you must show when you come to collect your card. Other medical certificates will not be accepted. The Ohi medical exam is free
  • Proof of €14,767 in annual resources (either as a lump sum or income) – or €15,098 from October 1st 2021
  • If you are in the care of a third person, you will need to provide documents showing this person has sufficient resources (eg a tax assessment, pay slips)
  • A hand-written attestation sur l’honneur (sworn declaration) that you will not work while in France
  • Proof of health insurance covering the entirety of your stay
  • Proof that you have paid tax and stamp duty on the card (you will need to present this when you collect your card)

How can I renew my card?

In order to renew a visitor permit, you will need to go through the same process and provide the same documents as listed above.

This means that if your financial proof is in the form of savings in the bank, you will need to show you have at least €15,098 each time you apply for a new card.

You cannot apply for a renewal until your current card is two months away from expiring.

own a holiday home in france

Home Hunts are here to help you to own a holiday home in France. If you would like to speak to one of the team to discuss your needs or just to have a chat about the market, you can call us on +33 970 44 66 43 or send us a mail to info@home-hunts.com.

If you just want to browse through thousands of beautiful homes across France, visit our website at www.home-hunts.com  follow our latest news at www.home-hunts.net or keep up to date with us on Facebook or Instagram.